Sunday 19 April 2015

RSPB Minsmere

I was still after the elusive Avocet and Black-tailed Godwit, so I was hoping that Minsmere would not disappoint me. From the moment we chatted to the manager of the reserve my hopes soared - both were on site and in good numbers and I was definitely likely to see them. What I really needed was some close up images if the location would allow for it.

Wet Grassland

Minsmere Nature Reserve sits on the North coast in the shadow of Sizewell Power Station, the site covers 3.75 miles and was established in 1947. It includes reed beds, lowland heath, wet grassland and shingle and  has a diverse range of wildlife and birds, it is known as one of the UK's premier birdwatching sites.

Black-tailed godwit - Limosa limosa

I was bubbling with excitement after my chat with the manager and almost skipped to the first hide where I  spotted the Godwit's as soon as we arrived. (North Hide) I managed to capture this black-tailed Godwit in flight.

Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa limosa

This black-tailed Godwit is in breeding plumage, but was slightly too far away so I have had to crop the image a fair amount to show detail.

We moved to another hide around the lagoon and here the Godwits came closer and I was able to get more detail in my images

 RSPB Minsmere, Suffolk, Bird Hide

 Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa limosa

I think the composition of this image works well with diagonal lines that lead the eye towards the godwit. The water is a little choppy for my project as i am trying to capture wadiing birds with reflections wherever possible.

Black-tailed Godwit- Limosa limosa, in breeding plumage

I was really elated to capture this image of the Godwit, although the foreground is distracting, this is the closest I have managed to get to them and the detail in the plumage is lovely to see.


Another capture that could benefit from the use of a longer lens or the birds coming closer, I have tried not to crop my images too much, and i like the curve of the shoreline and the composition of the birds. Below is an image that I have cropped into, this works well for my online blog but creates a much smaller image that would not enlarge to 12 x 8 without compromising the quality.
It is unfortunate that the hides/birds do not allow for a closer capture.

Black-tailed Godwits - Limosa limosa


I also struggled today to capture the Avocets up close, I had been hoping to see large numbers of the birds together, but only managed to capture them singly or in pairs.

Avocet - Recurvirostra


Minsmere is on the East Coast, and the wind is much colder here, out of the sunshine in the hides with the windows open, allowed the wind to whistle in and it was freezing! Although it was sunny, the waters looked quite murky and there was not a lot of reflection to capture.


These images give an overview of the habitat and landscape at Minsmere, which has several hides set around the lagoons, where the waders feed. There are also Scrapes where they nest, but it was a little early in the breeding season so I did not see any nesting birds.


The Reedbeds provide home for all manner of wildlife and we heard the Bittern several times but did not spot it. I was lucky enough though, to hear and see the Cuckoo, another endangered species, but it was too far away to photograph. I also saw and photographed the Marsh Harrier which was really thrilling having not seen one before.

I did rather concentrate on the Godwit on this visit but it is a wonderful place to go at all times of the year to spot and photograph wildlife. I will definitely be going back, it is a shame the University does not organise a trip here as there is something for everyone.

To finish this post - more Black-tailed Godwits......

 Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa limosa

These are some of my favourite images, although the day was overcast and the water a muddy grey.

Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa limosa


Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa limosa

No comments:

Post a Comment